Saturday, June 23, 2012

Party Time!

We celebrated Preston's first birthday last week.  This year his birthday falls on Father's Day which I thought was very special.  Grandma and Gramps Shrader came into town and stayed with us for a few days too.  We had so much fun and I actually got to take a nap every day, which was awesome. 

This little boy is the light of my life and I can't believe it's been a year.  Part of it has gone incredibly slow and the rest flew by.  When I was pregnant with Preston, people used to tell me "get ready, time's going to start flying".  Then when he was born, I couldn't go anywhere without somebody saying "They grow up so fast. Don't blink, or you'll miss it."  I really thought I knew what they meant, so I have tried to cherish every second that he has been mine. But it wasn't until he turned one that I realized just how right everybody is.  On the way home from his one-year check-up, I started sobbing in the car because I want that baby back!  Some days I would give anything for him to be little again, or to just freeze him in time.  

But he is so much fun now! He says: Da-da, Ma-ma, hi, uh oh, and yeah. He talks all the time in his own language.  It's so cute, but every time I turn the video camera on he stops.  He pulls up on everything and walks around all the furniture.  He can climb the stairs... One of his favorite things to do is pull himself up on the toy basket and fling all the toys out.  He makes car noises and tries to make doggy sounds.  He stands at the baby gate that blocks him from the kitchen and puts little toys through the slats--and then calls me to come get them. He found the toilet.  If there are ever missing remotes, cell phones or keys, check the toy basket. He stands up in his crib and yells for Dad every morning when he wakes up.  Best of all, he still likes to cuddle with his mama--luckily I do too :) 

His two top teeth have broken through.  One is a little further along than the second one, but still none on the bottom.  He has a few bumps on the bottom so I know they will come in soon, but until then he will look awesome. 

He eats anything and everything.  He will try anything once, and usually likes it.  His current favorites are cut up cherry tomatoes and pizza.  

At his check up, he was in the 60th percentile for height, 66th for head circumference, and only 25th for weight.  I completely attribute this to his recent mobility (thanks, physical therapy!). 

I know a lot of people think first birthday parties are dumb, but in my opinion, this party was just as much for the parents as it was for Preston.  We deserve to celebrate keeping another person alive for a whole year!  We had a beach theme and used my parents house.  So many of Preston's friends were there and I think everybody had fun.  He got lots of big-boy toys and has had a blast playing with all of them. 

Here are some pictures of the festivities! 



























We are so grateful we have this sweet boy and couldn't imagine our lives without him! 

5 comments:

Mandy Burnett said...

It sounds like he knows more words than Cole! That's awesome, maybe P can teach him some new vocab in July! It really does fly huh? I miss my babies...it is really hard for me to think I am almost done with tiny babies...I tell Wade that I'll be one of those ladies who has babies in her 50's just so I dont have to give up newborns. Oh, so sad...it makes my heart hurt just thinking about it. I the party looked like a blast...wish we could have been there. See you in month!

The Gardner Family said...

I love the little babies too, but honestly this next year or two is my very VERY favorite! They are so fun to watch as they are learning new things all the time. They are soooo busy and so fun! (which makes church a little rough, especially until nursery) :) Enjoy enjoy! Looks like a fun party! :)

The Hargretts said...

One year birthday parties soooo worth it! I love the theme and those cupcakes with the sharks looked great, I saw those on Martha Stewart. Happy One Year Preston!! And many many more.

Tanya said...

He's like a little boy, not a baby anymore!! What the heck!?1
Also, I love his little close-mouthed grin. So cute!

Sarah said...

We had so much fun and birthday parties are worth it at every age!!