Shoes.
At the start of my pregnancy I vowed to wear heals the whole time. I convinced myself that I would not be one of those women who sacrificed style just because uglier shoes were more comfortable.
I continued with this theory until my shoes became too tight. That's right. The thought never occurred to me that my feet would get swollen and my shoes would actually stop fitting. I fought this fact tooth and nail and continued to wear my heels. I thought that if I didn't draw attention to the fact that they were too small, nobody would notice. At church one Sunday when I was around 25 weeks pregnant, two sweet friends of mine {Cathrie Long and Raquelle Morse} told me how ridiculous I was for trying to remain in heels and that there was NO shame in a pregnant woman in comfortable shoes. Of course I knew they were right, but I have been a shoe lover my whole life. It seemed like the end of an epic era. Lets face it. Mom's probably shouldn't wear half of the shoes I own. They are too ridiculous and impractical for every day life.
So for the past few months I have been living in gladiator sandals much like these.

I have a few pair that I rotate back and forth. My feet literally cannot fit into anything else. I can't even fake it anymore. I wake up and they are swollen. I go to bed and they are even more swollen. They have a mind of their own. The area between my calf and foot--commonly referred to as the "ankle"--seems to no longer exist.
Then something amazing happened. Amazingly bad, not amazingly good.
My feet got bigger.
That's right. I didn't think it was possible for my feet to get more swollen, but somehow they have. I really have no way to elevate them at my desk during the day, so even though I take breaks and walk around, I guess I can't get enough circulation going to ease the puffiness.
Which leads me to today's Target shopping trip. After trying EVERY SINGLE pair of shoes on, and swooning/practically crying over these....(shoes I would have been able to ROCK back in the day).....

......I left the store with these bad boys.

6 comments:
Poor BethAnn! I always loved you shoes. Secretly, I envied you and your fabulous heel wearing self. No worries, some boys love the canckle and your little baby boy is so worth it! You maternity pictures were amazing btw!
I feel your pain. I didn't have the swelling, but I had weird arch and tendon pain that HURT. Some nights I would wake up and have to pee so bad, but my feet hurt too bad to walk, i had to crawl once to the bathroom, not so fun. Anyway, I couldn't even wear flipflops! It.was.horrible! I had to wear sneakers the last like 4 months of being preggo. Sneakers! Talk about bad fashion. And even now, it's hard for me to wear heels, cause it makes my feet hurt again. So good luck, I'm hoping once your baby's out you'll be back to your cute and fun shoes :)
I bet nobody told you that your feet can actaully grow while you are prego. I went up half a size and had to buy all new shoes affter Jake was born. I was very happy at my 6 1/2 and now I can never find a 7. I totally understand the swelling too...I get hypertension and swell up like a balloon...I put on 10-15 lbs in my last month because of it...the things we go through for these little ones...but hey I already want a 4th and I just barely got a 3rd. Hang in there pretty soon you'll forget all about the yucky stuff.
Have you tried drinking more water? Swelling can be a sign that you are dehydrated, and it is your body's defense against it.
And just be glad you aren't this pregnant in the winter...although in Florida you could probably get away with wearing flip flops then too :)
Only 10 more weeks! woohoo!
Hang in there! There are so many realities of pregnancy you never think will happen to you...it stinks!
I meant to say NEVER happen to you!
Post a Comment