Thursday, December 29, 2011

Really?


1. I glanced over at my newborn tonight and he blew my mind. He's not a newborn, he's 6 1/2 months old. All dressed in his (12-month) jeans and batman hoodie, sitting up, playing with his Christmas loot. Is he really so old?

2. I cut my hair. I am excited and devastated at the same time. Excited because I have had long hair since the dawn of time and I finally did something a tad adventurous (in a non-original, copy-everyone-else-who-is-doing-it-sorta-way...). Devastated because it means I'm "that mom" who I thought I never wanted to be. You know the one... you sit behind her in church when you are 17 and vow never to be her/secretly hope one day you are...(or was that just me?) The one that has the perfect husband, adorable baby, short hair cut, calling in YW, etc. Yep, check, check, check, and check.

3. In 12 hours Zach and I will be homeowners. Not renters, not squatters, not homeless, but homeowners.


Am I an adult now? I still feel 18, but all these grown-up things are happening to me. When did I grow up? Sometimes I look around and think "when are the parents coming home?" and then I realize that they aren't. I'm it. Dang.

Also,

4. Zach and I are on the 20th episode of Keeping Up With The Kardashians. Not just me, ZACH, and me. He has this whole week off...and we both agree that Kim is both the prettiest and the dumbest, Kourtney is the second dumbest, and Khloe is by far the best in every way.

5. I get dressed and wear make up every day now. For a few months now, I have been looking stylish and I can't believe it. I never thought Preston would let me get out of my sweats and ponytail.

6. I am actually awesome at baking cookies. I used to really enjoy baking but stopped partway through college, then I got pregnant and was too sick. But over the holidays I experimented with some recipes and concocted the best two cookies in all of the world: Lemon Crinkle Sugar Cookies and Double Chocolate Chip Cookies. Both of which I have made myself sick on.

7. Zach's parents moved to Greenville, SC. We are going up to see them this weekend. I am so excited to have them closer!

8. I have lost over 15 lbs since I started Weight Watchers. I am now 12 lbs lighter than last year when I got pregnant with Preston. I went down a size in jeans and I'm feeling great.

9. I started making Preston's baby food. It's better than store-bought because it's WAY cheaper and WAY healthier. I can make 10 servings of baby food from 1 sweet potato. Just to put it into perspective, 1 sweet potato is about a dollar and 10 servings of baby food would cost roughly 6 or 7 if I'm lucky. Plus I know exactly what I'm putting in the baby food so Preston isn't getting a bunch of crap along with his grub.

10. I have realized that I'm a borderline vegetarian/animal rights activist. I could talk about it for forever, but basically I have realized over the last few months that I don't actually like meat. The thought of eating a hunk of flesh that used to be alive...with a soul...with a memory..and feelings...and a family...I just have issues with it. Call me a sucker for the media, but I've watched a few documentaries about chicken farms and dairy farms, and it makes me so sad. I think about what went through the animal's minds before they were killed, and it makes my steak not worth it. I haven't fully given it up yet, but I have noticed that I don't want it very much. I still buy some and cook it every now and then, but not often. I know not everyone feels this way, and I actually can't even believe that I do. But weirdly I do. My grandpa would probably roll ever in his grave if he heard this kind of talk. Sorry, Papa :(

4 comments:

Kim said...

good for you for getting dressed cute each day-- it makes such a difference in the way I feel when I do that, especially if I'm trying to be healthy too! (But I'm saving that for January 1st...good job you for doing WW even throughout the holidays!) You are always gorgeous so I can't imagine how hot you are now with your new figure! :) Also, I saw your haircut on Stace's facebook and it is SO stylish! Which fits you perfectly:) If it makes you feel a teensy bit more confident in your decision, I am LOVING my new haircut because, like you, I had long hair my whole entire life. I cut mine because I was just ready for something new. Not because it's easier. And not because I am a mom/ wife...in fact I know I would have done it if I wasn't either of those things. It actually takes a lot more effort for me to do my short hair than it ever did for my long hair, but I feel good and feel like people respect me more now (sad, but true) when I go into stores because I think I look more "put together". I guess I woulda' been one of those ladies in church you never wanted to be too;) but I wouldn't change a thing! Life is good, and hair grows back... (that is, if you even want it to...:)
Oh, and PS: I bet Zach thinks you look hot, too...so not much else matters, right? Stace was actually the one who inspired me to cut my hair because he stopped and looked at me one day when my hair was tucked inside my shirt and said "you'd look really good with short hair." And he loves it:)

Marsha said...

Look out world! Preston is mobile! And BethAnn is a grown up! Actually, I thought that same thought about myself...am I really an adult? I'm pretty glad that I am at least married to an adult so the bills get paid.

Mandy Burnett said...

I read this and had to chuckle for many reasons but mostly because Wade and I were invited to a "feast of beasts" on Friday where I ate 10 different kinds of meat including racoon (that was the mystery meat that we had to try it and guess it before we knew what it was...not bad actually)and fried squirrel also not bad. But I have to say I like meat but I think I prefer one kind per meal with a few side dishes...way too much meat! I love the hair...I actually hate short hair on me and swore I would never do it, but when all your hair falls out there's not much you can do about it...at least it grows fast.

The Shraders said...

Thanks everyone! Kim, your hair looks awesome! Before I cut my hair, I thought "If Kim Sundstrom can cut her hair and look good, I can too." haha. Now that I have the cut I am realizing it does take more time, but I feel the same way about getting more respect because I feel more put together. After reading my blog back, I guess I should mention that I love being one of "those moms" and wouldn't have it any other way at ALL!!!