Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Lately

I can't believe I have gone so long without updating the blog! O.k., who are we kidding, yes I can.  I have been meaning to but I never seemed to have the time until now.

The pregnancy has been going well, all things considered.  I am so thankful to be pregnant again that I try to catch myself before I complain... (I'm sure Zach would argue that I do PLENTY of complaining though)... The first few months were very reminiscent of my first pregnancy.  I lost about 12 pounds because I was so sick.  People would ask me if I was as sick as I was the first time and I really didn't know what to say.  With my first pregnancy, I didn't get Zofran until I was 12 weeks and in the hospital.  This time around I knew to ask for Zofran right from the start and was STILL throwing up all the time, even with the medicine.  Somehow the second time around didn't seem so bad because I had Preston to distract me and I couldn't mope around all day feeling sorry for myself like I did the first time.  My emotional health, however, has been much better this pregnancy.  I feel like my mood swings haven't been as bad and I'm overall a happier person to be around than I was the first time (again, Zach may argue differently... ). There haven't been quite as many meltdowns--although, there have still been plenty :)

When we decided to have another baby, I expected to be on bed rest at some point since that's what happened the first time. I had also read that Braxton Hicks contractions start much sooner the second time around and that they are completely normal.  I had my first BH while we were driving back from Orlando when I was 15 weeks.  I sort of freaked out because I wasn't expecting it so soon.  But I talked to my doctor about it and she said it was fine and normal--that my body is just more aware of what contractions feel like now, and that I would be fine.  Around 20 weeks I noticed that I had BH pretty much all the time, but the doctor had said not to worry about it, so I didn't.

At 24 weeks Zach and I celebrated our anniversary.  Zach took me with him on a business trip to Orlando to celebrate. I almost didn't go because Preston got sick the day before we left, but thanks to my awesome mama, I got to go anyway :) Zach and I thought it was really important that we get away for a couple days because it was our first time EVER leaving Preston overnight and would definitely be our last chance to get away before the baby came and grounded us again for another year.  His meetings were in a Disney hotel right across the street from Downtown Disney so I planned to shop all day while he was in meetings and then go to dinner/more shopping/the Temple, and just hang out.  Unfortunately, we did about half of that because every time I was on my feet for longer than 20-ish minutes, I would start contracting. Uggg!

 Once I was back home, I spent the remainder of that week mostly on the couch because I would literally contract any time I was on my feet.  I thought about going to the hospital, but I knew the difference between BH and labor contractions and I knew I wasn't in labor.  Plus, I had my doctor's appointment the next Monday so I figured I could hold out until then.  Friday I went to the grocery store and had a couple painful contractions that I had to stop walking for, but they stopped once I got home and put my feet up. Saturday I went to my best friend's baby shower (shout out to Tanya and Nathan!) thinking that I would be fine because I'd be sitting down the whole time.  About half way through the shower I noticed the contractions picking up, but they still didn't hurt or anything, so I didn't think it was a big deal.  On the way to the car though, I had a painful contraction and started to worry a little.  I contracted the rest of the day (sometimes painful and sometimes not, whether I was standing, sitting or lying down) but really REALLY didn't want to go to triage at the hospital because of all my horrible experiences in that place!  Around 6pm  I finally decided   Zach forced me to go anyway.  It took forever for the nurses to believe I was having contractions my contractions to show up on the monitor, but once they finally did, they were coming 6 minutes apart and getting uncomfortable.  They checked my labor progress and I hadn't dilated at all which was good.  They gave me a muscle relaxer which was awesome, and put me on bed rest until I could get to my doctor's appointment the next Monday.

My doctor reviewed my history and decided to make the bed rest permanent, hoping to get me to 35 or 36 weeks.  That's 11/12 weeks of bed rest total (double the amount I had with my first pregnancy).  She has no idea why my body is contracting... but says "you're probably just one of those lucky women who will have to be on bed rest during their pregnancies". Oh yay! I have a prescription that I can take if the contractions get too close together, but luckily I've only had to take it a few times so far.

So here is the complaining part:

I have had chronic back pain for years and have been seeing a chiropractor once a week for about 3 years now.  Bed rest means that I can only see the chiropractor once a month... not to mention lying down all day is so much pressure on my back and hips that the pain just gets worse every day! Also, I have diagnosed myself with Restless Leg Syndrome.  I started having the feeling like if I didn't move my legs/arms I was going to implode.  At first I thought I was crazy, but I googled it and apparently RLS is a very real thing that can often manifest itself during pregnancy.  The only solution is to move. Which is pretty hard to do when you are confined to a bed or couch.  Haha. Seriously, probably the worst pregnancy symptom I could possibly have right now.

By far, the worst part of bed rest is seeing Preston's routine all jacked up.  He doesn't understand why I can't get up and play or hold him, or tuck him in at night.  The first two weeks were really rough, but I think he might be adjusting a little more now.  Different people come over throughout the week to help and the rest of the time I'm with my mom so there's somebody different in his life every day.  He is being such a trooper though.  I love him so much!

Other than than that, life around here is pretty good.  I am catching up on work and finishing Preston's baby book.  I have a pile of magazines and books that I haven't even touched because Preston still wants to play and read stories with me even though I'm immobile   Zach has been AMAZING through all of this.  I couldn't ask for a better partner.  He is so attentive to both Preston and me, and somehow manages to keep the house straight. People from church have signed up to bring meals and help with housework too so we are very blessed.

On December 14th I will be 36 weeks. Zach and I joke that if the baby hasn't come by then I should go to Target to jump start labor (just like last time). At least that way I could see Target's Christmas decorations too!

1 comment:

Mandy Burnett said...

Man, preston is talking circles around cole! I should give him a little credit he is getting better...there is some "real" words escaping his mouth. Bed rest sounds like pure agony. I have no idea what we would do...if I had to depend on my mother in law I might go crazy. But yay! for Dec. birthdays! They are awesome! Any names yet?