Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Preston, 16 months

The other day I wrote Grandma Debbie an email about how Preston has been lately.  I figured it would be good to add it to the blog so I can remember this stage of his life down the road.



Preston had his well-baby check up today.  He is in the 66th% for head circumference, 55% for height and only 10% for weight.  He is such a little guy.  We have been having a really difficult time getting him to eat things that he normally would and he has developed a sensitivity to both cow's milk and soy milk.  We are going to have to up-grade him to almond milk and a different kind of yogurt. The biggest concern is the lack of protein, fat and iron in his diet, but right now the doctor isn't too concerned because he is healthy and active. .  I have a feeling lots of this has stemmed from me being on bed rest and his whole routine being messed up, strangers feeding him, etc. 

He got ringworm on his shoulder (not sure how, but I think it was from playing outside with my mom's dogs) but it seems to be getting better.

He needs another haircut, but we just haven't found the time to do it. 

Still not sure what he is going to be for Halloween.  I want him to be a cowboy since we have (almost) everything already and wouldn't have to spend much money on it.  I tried the cowboy boots on him that used to be Zach's and the kid's feet are so thick that the boots were uncomfortable for him.  He might be able to squeeze into them for a night though. At least long enough for a picture.   Every year my parents hook up a hay ride to my dad's truck and drive around the neighborhood trick or treating (since their neighborhood is too big to walk).  I was looking forward to trick or treating in our neighborhood for the first time but since I won't be able to go, Zach is going to take Preston out to join the hay ride.  I have a feeling he will love sitting with his Daddy in the back on the truck and trying to keep up with my sisters.  I'm so sad I will miss it! 

He is practically running these days.  Not as fast as Cole was running this summer, but he is definitely almost there.  He doesn't flap his arms like Cole, but he holds them up/out when he "runs" like somehow that will help him go faster.  

He would rather read a book than play with a toy any day of the week (except the dump truck you guys bought him).  We had been going to the library weekly to check out new stories, but that ended when I started bed rest.  There have been a few books he really liked that we ended up finding cheap on amazon because he couldn't bear to part with them when it was time to return them.  

He knows the noises of: cow, sheep, horse, lion, monkey, kitty, dog, snake, duck, ambulance, fire truck, boat, car, tractor, anything with a motor... And my new favorite, MONSTER! When I say "What does a Monster say? Scare Mama!" he says "BAAAAA"  really loudly and then laughs hysterically when you act scared.  

When reading a story, you can ask him to point to almost anything (Curious George, the kitty, dog, butterfly, flower, shoes, teacher, Spot, Spot's eyes, the farmer, tractor, etc) and he will. 

He recently learned how to say "please".  If he wants a snack he will point to it and say " pa-pa-pa-ease?" He has the cutest little lisp. He has said the word "shoe" a total of 4 times now, but isn't consistent about saying it like he is with please.  

"Outside" and "bath" are magic words in our house that can only be said if you are prepared to follow through.  He loves them both so much that even mentioning them in conversation will make him upset if he doesn't get to do them.  

His new socks and sneakers took several days of getting used to, but now he loves them.  He tries to put them on and off all by himself.  

Last night I was reading bedtime stories to him and the baby kept kicking where Preston was nuzzled into my belly.  Preston kept looking up at me and looking at my belly like he was wondering why in the world my stomach was moving.  

He loves to watch Curious George in the morning while he eats his breakfast.  He points to the TV and makes a monkey sound until I turn it on.   He also loves the Disney movie Cars.  He points to the TV and makes a car noise and claps when McQueen is racing.  It doesn't hold his attention for too long, but he loves it nonetheless. 

He has a total of 8 teeth (four on top and four on bottom) and is doing his best to cut the next batch.  He won't let me feel in his mouth to see which ones are coming in, but I know there are some that are about to break through.


UPDATE:
Since I wrote this: 
Preston has also learned to say "Amen!"  He says it loudly in the middle of prayers hoping to make them end sooner. 
He also has gotten a hair cut and now has a short buzz cut that makes him look like a trouble maker.
We decided against the cowboy idea for Halloween and are going with Charlie Brown.
He has decided that PediaSure is Heaven's gift to him and begs for it.  
We decided to start giving him gummy vitamins (since fruit snacks were one of the ONLY food he would eat) and he promptly decided that he didn't like fruit snacks anymore.  Now he lives off of goldfish, fruit loops and grapes. 

Sheesh.

Here are some pre-haircut pictures of my boy.  






No comments: